Link

Friday, November 11, 2005

Holidays in BF

Well, I missed Halloween. That's sad. But since I like Halloween so much, here is what I made my kids do...
Since I am supposed to start teaching English (haven't really started yet though), I was in class with them that Monday morning (Halloween), because it was right after I had math with them. I explained that it was an American holiday that day and explained how it's a day for kids (mostly) and how they go door to door dressed up all bizarre and ask for candy. I translated some Halloween words from French to English... like witch, cat, ghost, and Trick or Treat! I also gave them a huge list of 'American' names to choose from that they will use for the year with me. When they had selected names I asked them in English "What is your name?" and they had to respond with "My name is --- . Trick or Treat!" and I'd give them Blow Pops and Life Savers. So, anyway, it was totally fun for me because I gave them names of my friends and family, so I will be able to pretend like I am with the people I miss most every time I am in class.. also they were really cute because they couldn't say 'Trick or Treat' very well because "tr" is a tough sound for them to pronounce. So for instance they'd be in their seat and I'd be like "Wendmeneguede, what is your name?" and Wendmeneguede (that's a boy) would reply "My name is Bob... twik-a-twee!" ... it was cute and they loved it, so I had a sort of mini Halloween there in class.

Thursday that same week was the end of Ramadan, the Muslim holiday, so it was a big day (and week) of festivities. The end of Ramadan meant the end of the daily fast and a whole lot of eating that Thursday. We didn't have school, so the whole day I went to 5 or 6 different houses I was invited to and ate and took pics and chatted. It was very nice and very cultural. I was so stuffed, too. People go all out to cook delicious food for the day. I ate chicken, rice, spaghetti, veggies, and more. Kids go around yelling 'samba samba' and I didn't know that is sort of like a 'Happy New Year/give me money' yell. And I hadn't left the house with money, so I gave out candy at all the houses that I had brought as gifts. They loved it just as much and it sort of felt like Halloween. But instead of Trick or Treat!, it was Samba Samba!

What else... oh, yes, this Sunday is the presidential election. Election time in Burkina is just as annoying as it is in America. Politicians and propaganda all over the place, even in the villages. We volunteers are not allowed to leave village from Sunday, the 13th, until the 23rd as a precaution, in case of issues after the election. They do not think there will be any unrest, but it is always better to be safe than sorry, right? So I will not be back in Bobo until Thanksgiving time. I am really, really sad to miss Thanksgiving in America. But I am supposed to be celebrating in Bobo or Banfora (where the waterfalls are), so I am sure it will be fun. I would just like to see the leaves change, wear a sweater, eat some pumpkin pie and drink a hot cider from Starbucks, is all I'm saying...

School is still going well. I gave my first test in both math classes this week, and it went OK. I graded all 92 papers the same night, which was dumb and totally unnecessary, but whatever. They were happy to get them back. Which is good because it will be the last time I cram 8 hours of grading papers into one night like that! In general, though, I'm starting to find my own way of teaching and scheduling my time. Since you really have no direction from anyone, it's sort of hard to know if you are in line with the other teachers, but I guess no news from the principal is good news?? The kids have moments when I want to strangle them and just run out of the class, but they are getting better. Definitely playing the "let's see how much we can get away with, with our nice, white lady teacher" game, but it's not awful. There is a Chef de Classe (a student that is like the class monitor) in each class, and they are really good about calming kids down when they get rowdy, so that is a big help.

OK, I think that about sums up that last couple of weeks. I miss everyone and wish you all the best Thanksgiving and Fall Season. Drink a cider for me.

Love,
Steph

2 Comments:

At November 12, 2005 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Steph, Thanks so much for your Burkina Faso blogs! I am Shenandoah's Mom and I depend on your's and Tyler's and Adam's blogs for all my info about life in the Peace Corps because my son refuses to write letters or send emails. I loved your description of Halloween in your math class. I teach Kindergarten in Vt. and I enjoy having the kids coming to my house in their costumes. If you see Shenandoah over Thanksgiving please give him a big Thanksgiving hug and kiss for me. And thank-you for representing the U.S. in a positive way in a foreign country. KEEP ON BLOGGING! I'll say a toast to all the P.C. volunteers at my Thanksgiving dinner. Kathleen

 
At November 17, 2005 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Steph!

Although you may miss the fall season, here are some things you won't miss:

1) Raking wet leaves
2) The cold bitter wind cutting through your sweater
3) Paying $5 for the cup of lukewarm Starbucks (sorry Kristina)
4) Holiday traffic at the malls (and all ppl who can't drive)
5) The length of time known as an eternity that it takes a car to start blasting heat when first started up
6) The raw skin generated from rubbing a forest worth of tissues on your runny nose

I hope that helped. :)

In any case, I miss you (and I especially miss those pounds that have fallen off your hips and found homes on mine).

Love you, Tiia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home