Link

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Back in the BF

Bonjour everyone.

Yup, I made it back to BF just fine. And my bags got here one day after me. But they made it back, and that is all that matters. So wow,... Africa is hot! Getting back smack dab in the middle of the hot season really sucks!!! But down in Padema and near Bobo it is much more bearable than Ouaga and the northern part of Burkina (where I had training last year).

Since being back there have been a few depressing events actually.... I apologize ahead of time but this will be a pretty sad blog..

First off, I got back to Padema 2 Mondays ago and was supposed to start teaching the following Tuesday morning. I got to school about 8 am, and found everyone in the process of leaving the school grounds... because one of my students had passed away that morning. His father had come to inform everyone at school, and so all students and teachers obviously left for the day, and the boy's funeral was to take place that morning. He was a student in my younger class, so he was no more than 14 or 15 years old. When I asked what he died from, people just said that he had been sick over the weekend, and his father had taken him to the local hospital, but it just got worse until he finally passed away. No one had an actual diagnosis. Well, I went with my colleagues to his family's court in a neighboring village, and when we got there we basically sat around for hours while the family prepared his body. They cleaned him and wrapped him in a white fabric, and then in another fabric. I was really disturbed before I arrived because I was having a hard time visualizing which student he was, until we got to the family's house where they allowed viewings. He was one of 58 faces I taught in one room, so I couldn't picture him exactly in my mind until I saw him at their house. But even more disturbing to me than that was the appearance the very next day that no one particularly cared any more. Everything was business as usual, and you wouldn't even know something had happened the day before. I mean, I know life goes on, and especially in a place where people are used to children passing away before reaching adulthood, but I guess it was just a huge culture shock for me, after not having one for a while. And that combined with travel fatigue... it was a sad restart. Oh yeah, and the following day I found out one of my colleagues had a miscarriage and then that the bird flu has arrived in Burkina. What a week! Don't worry about the bird flu though. I think it was an isolated case and I haven't heard much about it. And since I don't do much chicken handling or cock fighting, I should be OK.

Aside from those first few days everything is pretty much exactly how I left it. Teaching is OK. I am not crazy about it still... but hopefully it will pick up a little before the end of the school year.... or at least go quickly. And the mango season is back, so that is one good thing. Mangoes everywhere!!! If only there was a blender and some ice cream to go with it, I'd be set.

Happy Passover and Easter!

If anyone wants to send me holiday M&M's I'll gladly except them. They withstand the heat very well!! :)

2 Comments:

At April 15, 2006 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear your arrival in Africa was not positive, that's sad. But what is even more sad is that we didn't get to say goodbye to you!!! You were just gone! I hope you enjoyed the little time all the girls got to spend together and I hope we were gracious "hosts" to Haoua. I will email you some pics that we took at the restaurant and pottery place. Miss you, and hope to see you again soon!

 
At April 17, 2006 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Steph,
I'm sorry to hear about the bad news upon your return. It's depressing to imagine that death is so casually accepted, or at least seems that way. But I'm glad you made it back safely... it was good to see you. Wish we could have spent more time together, but I know things must have been hectic for you. Miss you! T

 

Post a Comment

<< Home